View: 2087|Reply: 4

Rasptank - How to debug servos?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-1-5 23:48:21 | Show all posts |Read mode
Can someone tell me more about the process to debug servos?

I have the Rasptank kit. Installed the python scripts on the Pi, connected the servos to the hat per the instructions, connected the hat to the pi, and fired everything up. Couple of issues:

1) Battery power from the HAT did almost nothing. Indicator lights on the pi flashed and then blinked. Red light for the hat came on, but couldn't connect to the pi via SSH.
2) Powering up the Pi using USB did more. Red light came on for the hat (power switch still in off position), Pi appeared to start normally. Servos buzzed briefly and I could SSH in.

So now, my questions:

1) did I "debug" the servos just by firing up the Pi, or is there more to it?
2) I'm not far into the assembly process, but should I be concerned that I needed USB power to get the Pi to boot normally?

Thanks in advancefor the help.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Website Editor

Credits
Post time 2020-1-8 10:43:16 | Show all posts
1, If you have successfully installed the software on the Raspberry Pi, you only need to start the Raspberry Pi to complete the initialization.
2,Which power supply method is used will not affect ssh. Have you created the wpa_supplicant.conf file many times in your SD card? If so, this may cause problems with ssh. In addition, using USB for power supply may cause insufficient voltage. Battery power is recommended.
18650 battery specification: It is recommended to use lithium battery above 3000mAh and without overcurrent protection. The power supply current requirement is above 3A. Using 18650 lithium battery with overcurrent protection function, 18650 battery whose capacity is less than 1700mAh, 18650 battery specially for strong-light flashlight, 18650 battery with power shortage or counterfeit lithium battery produced by informal manufacturers will cause the unstable work of the robot,power cut and even damage to the Raspberry Pi and robot.
The robot can be turned on normally,but the Raspberry Pi will automatically restart or shut down after, also because of the problem caused by the 18650 battery.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-2-8 02:35:36 | Show all posts
Hello,
I apparently have the same problem, I can't debug the servos...

1. I Installed the Raspberry pi OS using the mac OS imager
2. Successfully logged in and installed the robot program and dependant librairies
3. Assembled the Motor Hat, connected the camera, the 5 servo and the battery pack

But when firing up nothing happen the servo's are not moving. When running 'sudo python3 adeept_rasptank/server/webServer.py' this is what I get:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/pi/adeept_rasptank/server/webServer.py", line 14, in <module>
    import RPIservo
  File "/home/pi/adeept_rasptank/server/RPIservo.py", line 17, in <module>
    pwm = Adafruit_PCA9685.PCA9685()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/dist-packages/Adafruit_PCA9685/PCA9685.py", line 74, in __init__
    self._device = i2c.get_i2c_device(address, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/dist-packages/Adafruit_GPIO/I2C.py", line 63, in get_i2c_device
    busnum = get_default_bus()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/dist-packages/Adafruit_GPIO/I2C.py", line 55, in get_default_bus
    raise RuntimeError('Could not determine default I2C bus for platform.')
RuntimeError: Could not determine default I2C bus for platform.

Can anyone help on this one?
Thanks!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrator

Credits
Post time 2022-5-5 17:42:04 | Show all posts
1644257914 replied at 2022-2-8 02:35 AM
Hello,
I apparently have the same problem, I can't debug the servos...

It may be that the Raspberry Pi version compatibility problem causes the dependent library to fail to be installed successfully. Please download and install Raspberry Pi OS (Legacy).
Raspberry Pi OS (Legacy) download address: https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/operating-systems/
You need to find Raspberry Pi OS (Legacy) in the link and download the image file.
Raspberry Pi official description of the Raspberry Pi OS (Legacy):
https://www.raspberrypi.com/news ... berry-pi-os-legacy/

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-6-5 19:37:33 | Show all posts
Hi Adeept_Devin,
thanks a lot, I installed Raspberry Pi OS (Legacy) and it worked, the servos are debugged and the lights are on. Now assembly process is starting!
Cheers!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules