Picar-B is finally running. Here are the issues I ran into

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Registered member

Credits
Post time 2020-2-27 20:28:34 | Show all posts |Read mode
Good Morning,

I'd thought I'd share the issues I've run into so you don't make the same mistakes.  I've been playing with the Raspberry PI since it was released and I've bought 5 and own 4 (one was a gift more my nephew).  I've been wanting to build a prototype robot for several years now and the Pi-car B let's me prototype the software.  Building the Picar-b was a lot of fun and the directions in the PDF were amazing.  The software... not so much.

Anyway here are the issues I ran into:

1) On the Raspberry Pi:
    a) I tend to alway su to the root userid on the raspberry pi and in this case it was a mistake.  Install from the PI userid.
    b) I originally was testing with a hardwired connection ie. a ethernet cable plugged into the raspberry pi.  This was a mistake.  Set up a wireless connection from the get to.
    c) I originally was testing with a hardwired power connection to the raspberry pi.  This was a mistake.  This kind of connection will not power the motors.  Use the LI batteries from the get          go.

2) On the PC client:
    a) I never did find a client.py script after following the instructions.  I ended up getting one from github.  If you can't find one after following the instructions go to github to get it.
    b) The Client.sh script would breifly connect to Pi-car but that was it.  I know it connected because the LED "headlights" would change from blue to green, but then the script would time out after 5 tries.  After debugging the script I discovered it was looking for a ip.txt file that was no where to be found.  I realized it was just looking for the file to exist and didn't                  care what was in it.  I created a ip.txt file with the ip address of my Pi-car and then it connected fine and I could finally see through the camera.

3) On the Pixar-b itself
    A) None of the servos were working.  Install the servo plugs VERTICALLY NOT horizontally!

Picar-B is now running.  Now I get to dive in and customize!!!!!

Good Luck.

Arthur

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-3-16 09:04:25 | Show all posts
Hey Arthur,
I am having a good bit of troubles with the Picar-B install and set up. I was looking to see if I could possibly reach out to you to seek help on the matter?

Thanks in advanced.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-11-13 08:31:15 | Show all posts
I have tried a RPi3B+ and RPi4B+, with multiple SD cards: I still can not get DC motor to work and move the car. All other functions in software work without issue. Adeept support sent me a replacement Motor Hat but that did not resolve issue. The front headlights change color as if motors are working but the motor does not drive. When connected to an external usb battery- I can drive the motor fwd and rev. I have even tried MotorA to MotorB port. It acts as if Motor chip is bad.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-2-5 14:37:55 | Show all posts
1584320475 replied at 2020-3-16 09:04 AM
Hey Arthur,
I am having a good bit of troubles with the Picar-B install and set up. I was looking t ...

We have updated the latest materials and manuals, please check through the following link: https://www.adeept.com/learn/detail-33.html

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-2-5 14:38:47 | Show all posts
1571366253 replied at 2020-11-13 08:31 AM
I have tried a RPi3B+ and RPi4B+, with multiple SD cards: I still can not get DC motor to work and m ...

We have updated the latest materials and manuals, please check through the following link: https://www.adeept.com/learn/detail-33.html

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-2-5 14:39:04 | Show all posts

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules